Sunday, June 19, 2011

On Set in Mongolia with National Geographic



When I left New York, I knew this shoot was going to be different; it started with United canceling my flight and rebooking me on a flight out of a different airport - that's always fun. It ended up being one of the longest journeys yet for me. Almost 48 hours from door to door. However, the excitement of arriving in a foreign country at 4am gave me the needed jolt of adrenaline to keep me from being too disgruntled about the 10 hour lay over in Beijing or the lost bag courtesy of China Airlines.

Mongolia is going to be very fun. It's a different place; slower. But I am very excited to get out into the openness and see what the 'steppes' have to offer. From the looks of them, from UB, it appears it's going to be a very colorful and picturesque location. The city will prove to either enchant me with what its' gritty side streets hold or disappoint me by revealing the shallowness and short sightedness of the city planning. In either case, I look forward to exploring the dusty town of 1million people to see what lies beneath the thick layer of caked dust that engulfs the city.

Below is the Chinggis Khan airport at 4am.