Monday, June 20, 2011

UB Day 3...and lots of traffic

On day 3, I ventured into the unknown side streets of Ulaanbaatar  only to be greeted by unrelenting traffic...traffic that rivals downtown Mumbai or heading west on I-495 at rush hour in New York City. The difference between the traffic in UB is that you have to add a layer of thick dust to the environment and the aroma of diesel engines as most of the vehicles are older imports.

All in all - it's a part of Mongolia I would stay away from. With that said, it's currently the only part of Mongolia that I have been to so I am hoping that when I do get to another part (ie. the steppes) I will be pleasantly surprised by it's grandeur and beauty. We will see - but from the reports from the team that went and scouted the locations yesterday, there is going to be no lack of 'big sky' wonder.

Below are some images I shot while riding, more like sitting, in traffic in UB.